Sunday, February 1, 2009


I picked this print because I was intrigued by what Mizenko-sensei said about prints being reproduced in studios. I thought that this also would be production of an image done in a studio and I thought this because of the wall in the background.

It's clearly a picture of a woman walking through the snow (fake snow if it's made in a studio) with an umbrella and a fence in the background. I think it was to symbolize the beauty of nature. Maybe this woman would be from the country and not from the city. I wondered too if maybe she was of a poorer class because her kimono is not very elaborate as is often seen of "traditional" looking Japanese women, or geisha as it often is. I can't help but think that this was another image meant to be given to tourists for their enjoyment.

I can't tell what's on the floor in the background but it makes the photo look more even. This photo was put together nicely, it makes the eyes focus on the woman's pretty face, then travels in a downward circle. It helps too that the photo is put in a circle. I feel it's very aesthetic and beautiful, but I'm looking at it from a westerners perspective. I would bet that the Japanese would see little meaning in it. especially if they know that it's a reproduction made for the purpose of westerner's enjoyment. And knowing this I don't want to analyze much more because I don't think it has any significant cultural meaning.

but it is a pretty photo.

5 comments:

  1. This picture is interesting! I like the way the picture is edited so that it's in a circle. I wonder if that was purposeful on the photographer's part, especially if it was to make the subject of the picture centered like that.

    The signifier is the woman, and I think the signified is the way she holds herself, all graceful and full of poise. She appears to be taking a stroll. I like the colors used here as well. The light blue contrasts nicely with the paleness of the snow and her surroundings. I wonder what is behind her, though, and I wonder if it was the photographer's purpose to not include more of the building in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely winter stroll. The snowey complexion of the women is repeated in the snow and the white wall. The black umbrella is the strong contrast to the snow and the woman's face. Even the matte which crops the image is black.

    A fair woman, who's complexion is as white as snow. The snow suggests her demeanor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps it's just the way that all Japanese women seem to appear in photographs, but the image of the woman's face does not appear to display any happiness. I wonder if the image is meant to convey a sense of sadness at the dreariness of the season, or perhaps just a disinterestedness of it. If I am to judge by her looks, I would say that she seems wealthy-looking enough to live in a warm and weather-proof house - perhaps the photograph of this women is meant to convey her imperviousness to the winter's cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This artist seems to have a definite sense of style. This photo kind of reminds me of photo shoots for magazines like Vogue and Vanity Fair... you know those thick ones where they carefully doll their subjects up to look juuuust a certain way. I don't think this is necessarily a fashion shoot, but it does seem like the artist is pulling aspects reminiscent of tradition and putting them into a contrived setting for a modern look in a way similar to that. Because of how the woman is represented, I feel like this artist is Japanese.
    It seems that the artist fooled around with the colors of the photo to give it an overall cold feeling, judging by the colors he chose to emphasize. (He? I don't know why I am assuming this artist is a man, I just feel like he is one.) The composition of the photo - especially the positioning of the umbrella to complement the framing done afterward - indicate the photographer's aesthetic value.
    I at this time wish to make no comment on what message or feeling the artist intended to convey/evoke, but I feel like there was something about this subject that was more significant to his interests than the interest of simply marketing toward others.
    As many have said... could be completely wrong, but this is what I'm seein'...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that Lisa noticed the contrasting colors. Normally I notice that but I was fixated on other issues. And I like how Becca made a comparison to the whiteness of the woman with the snow.
    I think Megan is onto something with the idea that the melancholy nature of the woman coincides with the dreariness of the wintertime. Mizenko-sensei, I forget what was talked about in 244 about what winter represented. Everything is transient, so spring will come again. Maybe she is sad that she has no cherry blossoms to look at or something. And I think Brianna is right.

    ReplyDelete